Background template

Thursday, May 15, 2008

They walk alike, they talk alike, sometimes they even think alike...

So I just read the “breaking news” that California overturned the ban on gay marriage. My first thought was, “Great. The world is going to hell in a handbasket.” And then I began to wonder how this 75-year-old woman got trapped inside of me, and should I let her out?

I won’t elaborate on my feelings (disappointment and frustration to name a few) on this controversial topic, but just know that I stand exactly where you would think I would stand, and that is in opposition to the court’s decision. But I think we’ll all admit that this blog doesn’t tread “deep” water very often, so I will stick to what I’m good at it and revert back to my shallow ways.

So who else is excited that Angelina Jolie is having twins? (How was that for a quick transition?) I personally couldn’t care less about the goings-on of the Jolie-Pitt family, but as a twin, I of course appreciate this. I have a good friend (shout out to Kaimey!) who actually gave birth to twins just last week, and let’s not forget about J-Lo’s newborn twins earlier this Spring. Maybe it’s in the water. Anyway, in honor of all the twins joining the world, I thought I would share just a few thoughts with you about what it’s like to be part of a pair.

First, let’s talk about the questions that Allison and I heard (and still sometimes hear) on a regular basis growing up:

Are you identical or fraternal?
The answer: Identical. And yes, we know that Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are fraternal even though they look exactly alike.

Who’s older?
The answer: Allison

You would think by the anticipation with which people ask this question that the answer has some really monumental significance, and it is always one of the first things people ask. It’s usually asked more like a challenge, as if we competed intensely to be the first to come out of the womb and as such, reserve eternal bragging rights.

(To one) If I hit her, (to the other) will you feel it?
The answer: No. If you hit me, I will feel it, and I will likely hit you back!

So what’s it like being a twin?
This one always makes me laugh. It’s kind of like asking someone what it’s like to breathe, or what it’s like to be white. I have never not been a twin, so it’s kind of hard for me to describe what it’s like?

Do you like being a twin?
The answer: Yes. But in case you didn’t know, we didn’t really have a choice in the matter :)

I think what surprises people most about me (knowing that I’m a twin), is that I am very possessive and territorial, and probably one of the worst sharers you will ever meet. Just yesterday Brian was saying that if he asked me for a piece of gum, he didn’t know if I’d say yes or no. And I responded with, “Of course I’d say yes! … well, unless it was my last piece…”

One would think that being raised having to share everything (including a womb) would make me/us much more likely to be willing to share things with others. I think the opposite happened to us, however. Because so few things were really our “own,” we clung to those things for dear life and didn’t dare put them in jeopardy. So if you ask for a piece of gum or anything else that may say trivial and I very reluctantly say yes (I’m just trying to be nice) or if I am bold enough to say no, please don’t take it personally.

Another characteristic I chalk up to being a twin is my absolute inability to be in solitude. I HATE being by myself and doing things by myself. I think my husband suffers the most heavily for this one, because I insist that he joins me for practically everything that I do… trips to the grocery store, watching tv, going to the YMCA. And it’s not so much because I enjoy his company (even though I do), but it’s more so that I need his company. Kind of sad, isn’t it?

You will also almost never catch me driving in the car by myself without being on my cell phone. Please remember that Allison and I shared a car for 5 years, and as such, I become very accustomed to having someone to talk to while I drove. This makes the commute to/from work much more enjoyable for me, but (again, poor husband), Brian probably doesn’t appreciate that he has to talk to me for the first 5 minutes of my drive home even though I’m going to see him 10 minutes later. And yes, to answer your question, I do call Allison as soon as I hang up with Brian. And if she’s busy, I move on to my mom, or whoever else I feel like catching up with.

I could probably go on for days about my twin-ship, but I don’t want you singletons to feel left out, so I’ll spare you :) However, if you have any twin questions, facts, or trivia, please feel free to share!

4 comments:

slc newlyweds said...

I do too reserve eternal bragging rights for being the oldest!

Angela said...

Just yesterday I said something about there being "something in the water" in regards to all of the twins popping up everywhere. I also said that I hope I catch whatever it is. Dustin and I both hope that (when we get ready for kids) we'll have twins!

Anonymous said...

Hi


Mansour Engineering believes that completeness, accuracy and integrity of contract documents must be assured by a thorough constructability quality assurance program. Mansour Engineering documents are always comprehensive, clearly detailed and well-coordinated across trades.

[url=http://www.mansour.ca] click here to go to Mansour Engineering[/url]


http://www.mansour.ca

Anonymous said...

i genuinely love your own writing type, very exciting,
don't give up and also keep writing mainly because it just truly worth to follow it.
looking forward to look at a lot more of your own posts, have a good day :)