Background template

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Um, President Bush... can we talk?"

Ok so I just read this horrifying article on cnn.com. I normally stick to less up-to-date or socially relevant topics on this blog, but this one struck such fear in my heart that I felt I needed to write about it. $100 to fill up a car? Does anyone else feel like throwing up? Thankfully, my Jetta is slightly more efficient and economical, but my husband’s F-150 is not. Fortunately he lives less than a mile from where he works, so we really hardly ever use his truck, but still!

The fact that the soaring gas prices are all I hear/read about on tv and the news does not help. Every time I am reminded of it (including all the times that I notice it myself when driving by gas stations), I can’t decide if I want to (a) curl up in the corner and cry, (b) call my parents and beg for money, or (c) call the President and complain. So far I have done none of the above.

It’s not like Brian and I are living in poverty and can’t afford it, but as newlyweds, we intrinsically strive to pinch pennies and stick to a tight budget. Needless to say, spending $4 for a gallon of gas is not helping. And please note that my idea to call President Bush is not to call and yell at him, because I certainly don’t blame him. But rather, when you are younger and see an act of injustice, your gut reaction is to find someone in a position of authority and tell on whoever is being unjust. So basically, I’m a tattle tale.

8 comments:

slc newlyweds said...

Be careful - "Anonymous" from WHS is probably going to comment and tell you to stop whining because "gas costs soooo much more in Europe"!

Brian Joiner said...

Whoa! Two blog posts in one day. I can barely keep up.

the cole family: said...

yo. i just realized that i haven't commented in awhile. i read your blogs often and laugh a lot. i love it! it's like reading a funny article in the paper. and dont be offended, but i'm going to make this same comment on your sister's blog. i love you both!

The Joiners said...

I'm glad you enjoy it, Stephanie! I check yours daily, as well... what would we do without the internet?!

Baby Duck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wade said...

makes you want to buy a hybrid, doesn't it? :)

The Joiners said...

Baby Duck and Wade- if you buy me a hybrid, I'll definitely drive it!

wade said...

http://venturebeat.com/2008/01/10/27-electric-cars-companies-ready-to-take-over-the-road/

If you pick one out, I'll see what I can do...

Ok, not so much, but just think of how cool you would be driving some of these around!