Background template

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Those crazy Nelsons

This is just a little tidbit about my family that you might find interesting…

I wouldn’t say that my family had a lot of “traditions” growing up, at least not many that were out of the ordinary. But there is one that I have always found particularly amusing:

Every Sunday, we would get up and to go “big church” and Sunday School in my dad’s sweet 1980s suburban (whichever 80s color he was rocking at the time, my favorite being the one with alternating shades of blue). After church was over, we would all 6 pile into the car and get a lecture from my dad about not leaving any of our “Sunday School doo doo” (crafts we’d made, notes we’d taken, etc) in the car. And while most families would then proceed to Sunday brunch with grandma at the country club, or a big b-b-q lunch at home, the Nelsons chose a different path: we went to 7-11.

Yes, every Sunday after church we would hit up the local 7-11 as a family. Each child was allowed 1 drink and 2 food items. In my younger years, I always chose a slurpee for my beverage, but after the “incident” in which I spilled one of my slurpees on the cloth interior of my dad’s car and attempted to cover it up by placing my stuffed Pound Kitty on top of the mess (thereby staining not only the car, but also my beloved kitty), I was “strongly urged” to get a bottle of coke instead. My food items were always the same: Cheetoh Puffs (Big Grab sized bag, duh) and a Kit Kat.

Much like our annual summer trips to family camp, I thought this tradition was normal well into my young adult years. Eventually, after polling enough of my friends, I learned that it wasn’t exactly an ordinary Sunday afternoon activity. Nonetheless, it is a tradition that I hold near and dear to my heart, and if I hadn’t become such a cheapo, it’s one that I would have no problem carrying on with my own family some day.

How about you? Have any of your own unusual family traditions that you’d like to share?

3 comments:

slc newlyweds said...

I long for the days of Cheetoh Puffs, Smartfood Popcorn, Big League Chew gum, Kit Kat Bars, and Dr. Peppers... why must we grow up?!

Beth said...

On Friday nights in elementary school we had a ritual of watching TGIF. (Full House, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, Just the Ten of Us...) Andy and I made pallets and/or sat in our bean bag chairs and were allowed our weekly soda, our favorite candy, and popcorn. If we, heaven forbid, were not at home on Friday night, Mom taped TGIF and we watched it on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Lorne said...

I actually had a conversation about something like this with a lab-mate today...

Every Tuesday morning my Dad would take us all to get donuts before school. He would ALWAYS get two plain cake donuts and a coffee. We always got sprinkled, kid donuts. Now that I'm all grown up I actually prefer the plain cake donuts and sometimes I wonder if it's just because my Dad always got them...