Background template

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's fun to stay at the... Y-M-C-A

So we’re leaving the YMCA this morning after our work-out and what do we see sitting at the front desk? Two boxes of glazed donuts. DONUTS. As we exited the building, I asked Brian what gym thinks it’s a good idea to keep donuts—of all things—out for members to eat. My sweet husband, always motivated by his stomach, replied with, “A good one!” Sorry, hubby, but I beg to differ… or at least that’s what I thought at first.

My first reaction was quiet outrage at this overt temptation being placed as a stumbling block right in the path of well-intentioned gym-goers. But after giving it a little more thought, I realized that the YMCA might, in fact, be performing an act of pure genius. Think about it:

Member comes to gym to work out. Member, weak and tired after said work-out, loses his/her will to fight temptation and eats a donut on the way out. Member renders prior work-out useless and ineffective in a matter of bites. Member gains weight. In an effort to fight weight gain, member continues to go to the gym to work out. And thus the cycle repeats itself.

Wow, who knew the YMCA of Richmond was so clever? I sure learned my lesson, and I won’t doubt them next time I see them doing something seemingly foolish.

In other news, it appears that dry weather and humidity got into a huge fight, and humidity must have kicked dry weather’s butt, because it is gross outside. On the news (I love referencing the news, it makes me feel so grown up!), they have this scale to show you what the level of humidity is outside. What I find amusing is that “sticky” is on the scale… real technical term, huh? My scale would start out with something like "almost tolerable" and end at "don't go outside and consider blowing up the city." Regardless, I knew what was in store when I agreed to move to the Houston area, so I will do my best not to complain about it. My hair, on the other hand, might have a few complaints to file.

Speaking of weather, did you know that today is Earth Day? Pretty exciting, isn’t it? I’m sure that Wade, my brother-in-law and the nerdiest nature-lover I know, will be hugging several trees and using public transportation (or better yet, a bicycle!) to celebrate. Oh wait, that’s something he does every day. Wade, how about hugging an extra tree for me today? He really loves it when I make fun of him, especially for the whole world wide web to see, right, Wade? It’s ok, someone has to take care of our planet, and who better than my brother-in-law to do it?

I feel like I’ve sort of been neglecting Brian on this blog lately, and even though he rejected my offer yesterday to make his own post (in the form of, “Brian, you should write a blog post because you haven’t done one in a while. And make it about reasons why you love me.”), I still think he deserves at least a shout-out. Yesterday he earned lots of points on the good husband chart (I should really make one of those): he cooked dinner AND he filled up my water bottle for me before bed. Because the spout on our refrigerator water dispenser is about the size of the tip of a ball point pen, filling up a 32-oz water bottle can be quite a tedious task. And fortunately, God blessed me with a very patient husband who doesn’t mind doing it. Every now and again I just suck it up and do it myself, but sometimes I am just not up to the challenge. Wow… that makes me sound really lazy.

Ok time to wrap up… who wants to hear a Richmond fun fact? You do? Well great! Here you go:

The average SAT score for LCISD (Richmond’s school district) is 907.

I refer to this fact as “Reason # 1 why I do not want my children attending public school in Richmond.”

11 comments:

Brian Joiner said...

so many things to comment about.

1. Thanks for the shout out on the blog. I appreciate it!
2. I would like to point out that my statement about what kind of gym puts out donuts is now a correct one by your logic.
3. The humidity and your hair may not get along but it makes your skin look younger for longer, so that is something to appreciate about it :)

The Joiners said...

And you have nothing to say about the average SAT score and our future unborn children?!?!

wade said...

can't make a long comment - too busy saving the world

and for the record, I didn't even know it was earth day!

but then again, everyday should be earth day, right?

Anonymous said...

Not sure if this makes you feel better.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou070829_rm_satscores.7fecfb5f.html

Texas SAT scores below national average

Texas students scored slightly higher on the reading and math sections of the SAT this year, but their scores were lower than the national average.

The College Board reports that the average math score in Texas was 507, up one point from last year.

In reading, Texas students improved by one point to 492.

The average score on the writing section dropped five points to 487.

A perfect score on each section is 800.

Nationally, the average math score dropped by three points to

515, one point to 502 in reading, and three points to 494 in writing.

More students than ever before took the test, both nationally and in Texas.

More than 132,000 Texas students took the test, with 47 percent of them identifying themselves as minorities.

Robert Scott, the state’s acting education commissioner, says efforts to increase the difficulty of high school courses helped boost reading and math scores in Texas.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if this makes you feel better.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou070829_rm_satscores.7fecfb5f.html

Texas SAT scores below national average

Texas students scored slightly higher on the reading and math sections of the SAT this year, but their scores were lower than the national average.

The College Board reports that the average math score in Texas was 507, up one point from last year.

In reading, Texas students improved by one point to 492.

The average score on the writing section dropped five points to 487.

A perfect score on each section is 800.

Nationally, the average math score dropped by three points to

515, one point to 502 in reading, and three points to 494 in writing.

More students than ever before took the test, both nationally and in Texas.

More than 132,000 Texas students took the test, with 47 percent of them identifying themselves as minorities.

Robert Scott, the state’s acting education commissioner, says efforts to increase the difficulty of high school courses helped boost reading and math scores in Texas.

Beth said...

Ok... normally I wouldn't tell people my SAT score, but as a LCISD graduate, you should know that I made a 1390. Thank you very much.

shannon said...

your children going to LCISD?! i think you should save us all (or maybe just me) from getting really excited, and mention that you do not have children yet (and not even on the way)! unless you have something to share, but i don't think that is the case..

The Joiners said...

Ha ha no kids to report- sorry to disappoint you, Shannon :) And Beth- you are right, and there are probably many exceptions to the SAT rule. I don't think I actually realized that Terry was in LCISD? I thought it was just Lamar Consolidated!

*Kimmie* said...

My favorite gym membership recruiter, Patrick, feels that he would double his business if he left cookies out by the door. Same concept. Evil gyms. =)

Beth said...

Hmm, my comment sounded mildly ... bitter? Didn't mean to! I enjoy your blogs and know there are definitely flaws in good ol' LCISD. I'm all for you having babies, though...

Brittany said...

Chris posted anonymously! Gosh Chris... He doesn't know who he is messing with.