Background template

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dear government: You're welcome.

So as many of you might have heard, the Economic Stimulus payments are on their way! I know some of you will argue that this is not really free money, but instead of wasting my time arguing, I’m going to continue having a little party in my head and silently screaming, “Free money! Free money! Hooray!”

Goody goody that I am, I am a little bit conflicted about how to best use this money. The government wants us to go out and spend it to “stimulate” the economy. My logical, practical brain wants us to save or invest it. The selfless part of me (although my family members might argue this part is very small!) says we should give it away, perhaps to another country. Fortunately, unlike with most of my internal mental/moral debates, I have a mediator who makes the decision-making process much easier in this situation: my husband. He hears “free money,” and rather than allowing himself to dwell on it or consider the options, he instinctively thinks “flat screen television.” And thus, that is where our stimulus will be going.

This idea didn’t exactly come out of nowhere, as I did promise Brian that we could get a flat screen tv after we got married. At the time, however, I wasn’t taking 3 months of my unemployment into consideration. And then along came our 2 pups (aka: the money pits), and timing just hasn’t worked out yet. But now I have no excuse. Someone is writing us a big fat check that hasn’t already previously been allotted into the sacred budget, so why not spend it? Besides, that is what the government wants us to do. And who am I to disobey authority? :o)

So my first question is: does anyone know where to get the best deal on a good flat screen tv? My second question is: if you care to share, what are YOU planning to do with your “free money”? Or if you are part of the fortunate segment of the population that makes too much money to qualify for the stimulus, what do you wish you could do with the free money?

PS- I hope this post doesn't make us sound shallow or selfish. I promise that we do our best to be good stewards of the money that God gives us :)

5 comments:

slc newlyweds said...

When we get our refund, I'm going to use it to hire someone to steal your flat screen t.v. How do you like them apples?

The Joiners said...

I love apples! Gala apples are my favorite.

Beth said...

Thanks for the reminder... more money to hold me over during my unemployment :)

shannon said...

smiling's my favorite

Maryanne said...

We're going to buy a mattress for Hannah.