Background template

Friday, April 4, 2008

Murder, dog-walking, and other important topics

As I normally do, I was listening to the news this morning as I got ready for work. I was digging into my bowl of Raisin Bran when I heard the following words come out of Owen Conflenti’s mouth: “There’s been a decrease in Houston’s murder rate so far this year… from January-March of 2007, there were 88 murders. This year, there have only been 78 murders in January-March. That’s a double-digit decrease!”

Um. Seriously? Is that upbeat news supposed to help me sleep better at night? Fortunately, as the townies that we are, we technically don’t live in Houston, so these statistics don’t really apply to us directly. But still, and I hate to be cliché here, but what is the world coming to? It’s just sad to me that “only” 78 murders in a 3-month time period in one city is supposed to be good news.

But anyway, let’s move on to more exciting topics. Brian and I are taking on a new task: walking the dogs every night. This may seem simple, but if you have ever attempted to walk 2 puppies on leashes, you know that this is no small task. Buster is apparently not the fastest learner, because the entirety of our walks with him consists of a never-ending cycle of him running too far ahead, and getting yanked back on the leash, running too far ahead, and getting yanked back on the leash. He doesn’t seem to mind if the leash starts to choke him a little, he just wheezes and coughs and tries harder to get off the leash. It’s really pretty sad. But get this, we decided at one point to take him off the leash, just to see what he would do (he is not fast enough to out-run us and there were no cars around, don’t worry). He trotted about 3 feet ahead of us and then ran back to us, trotted about 3 feet ahead of us, and then ran back to us. Do you sense a pattern here?

Noah has gotten much better now that we have one of those collars that tightens if he gets too far ahead on the leash. He is smart enough to realize that he prefers breathing over not breathing, so he stays back with us now. However, squirrels are by far his greatest temptation, and if he spots one, you better hold on to that leash for dear life or Noah will be gone. I sure hope that the mentally challenged nature of our dogs is not a reflection of our parenting skills :o). For now, I will just blame it on the fact that they are young!

Brian and I are headed to Austin this weekend primarily in honor of my mom’s birthday. She will be the big 5-8… weird to think that my parents are closer to 60 than they are to 50! I’m sure she’d be glad I was sharing her age for the entire world wide web to see… you’re welcome, mom! It will be nice to go home for a weekend, especially to see Emma and Brown, my ridiculously cute niece and nephew whom I haven’t seen in 2 months. Don’t worry, I will take pictures, and I will post them. I can’t wait to see what new tricks they have learned!

And lastly, readers, I’d like to let you know something important: I have a newfound enemy. I have always wanted to have an arch-nemesis… someone that my life’s goal was to defeat, and now I have one: those fuzzy things that fall out of trees. You know what I’m talking about… they’re stringy and kind of a greeny brown, and they will fall to pieces if you aren’t careful with them (and why would you be?), and if a bunch of them fall all together, it’s like a mossy carpet on your sidewalk? Anyone know what I’m talking about? Well they have been falling in the masses onto my car, and every time I open my car door, they all spill into my front seat… and then I have to sit there and pick them out one by one, inevitably leaving their little droppings behind. It is incredibly frustrating! And so much so that they are now my arch-nemesis.

Fuzzy tree droppings, let me be clear about one thing: I will defeat you. Somehow. Some way.

1 comment:

Anne B said...

I refer to your nemesis as "tree poop." Dylan has informed me that the correct name is "oak pods." My nemesis is related to yours: the worms that hang by the invisible thread that emerge from the oaks at this time of year. They freak me out, and NEVER come off your car even if you go through a car wash.